Hi all! Remember, no weigh in until the end of Whole30. I'm currently on Day 11! Yay for double digits and for being 1/3 of the way "done." Honestly the first week was very manageable and I felt great! No cravings, no headaches, no stomach issues, no cranky/angry feelings. It all felt very normal.
Once the weekend hit, I knew it was going to be a bit of a challenge. I still wasn't having any cravings but I do think my brain was expecting to go out to eat and maybe a milk stout (gah!). It just didn't seem like a "normal weekend." By this point, I was starting to feel a little more tired than usual particularly in the afternoon. For a few days, I felt like I wasn't staying asleep the whole night but things are starting to get back to normal!
This is accurate.
Here's a look at a few "typical" meals these past few days. As always, we've been keeping it simple!
I've shared this before but holy YUM! Sweet potato (topped with cinnamon & coconut oil), egg, compliant prosecution. Add berries or some greens = best breakfast ever!
Same as above!
Today's breakfast: egg muffins chocked full of veggies, compliant/sugar free bacon (I finally found some at Whole Foods!), blueberries & blackberries.
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! I eat eggs more days than not, vegetables, protein, and usually some fruit like berries/cuties/banana (if no sweet potato), & black coffee. I find that if I eat just fruit or a similar carb heavy breakfast, I get hungry quick! Fats and protein for fullness & flavor!
Spinach salad with berries & homemade tahini dressing + chicken breast + bacon
The BEST chili spaghetti EVER! Chocolate chili + spaghetti squash. Carrots and cashew butter (may be better than peanut butter).
Tuna salad over greens + "mashed" potato (with ghee) + tomatoes and pickles
Probably my favorite lunch so far - Chicken salad (recipe from Andrea @ A Doctor in the House). I topped mine with a few hemp hearts for crunch. Banana & tomatoes.
Also, fun fact! La Croix water is Whole 30 approved! It's great for when I'm wanting some carbonation or to switch up my water game!
Dinner is pretty typical for us - most of our dinners looked like this before the Whole30 anyway. We don't do a lot of casseroles or fancy things. Just proteins and roasted sides.
Shrimp + lemon basil noodles, sweet potato, and berries/cashews.
Chicken sausage & peppers, avocado, and sauteed rainbow chard!
Yeah, so we eat a lot of leftovers which is GREAT! Neither one of us is picky as long as there is food and we can throw something together quickly. Nick has been working a lot so we usually don't have time to prepare a meal and eat together anyway. We just do what we can!
The Whole30 encourages participants to limit snacking and rejects the now popular "eat 5-6 meals a day" thing which I tend to agree with. It does allow for pre & post-workout snack/meals IF you need them, depending on your level of training.
If I feel particularly hungry (like I would chicken and broccoli, not I want a cupcake), then I eat a snack. I try to grab some tomatoes, carrots, etc. first. If I'm about to workout or I get home from Crossfit, I may opt for a banana/apple with almond butter, 1/2 a Larabar with nut butter, an egg muffin, etc. I think in the future I'm going to try to eat more protein like some chicken breast if the snacking bug strikes, just to see how I respond.
Banana + almond butter + coconut flakes + hemp hearts
I swear there are only two of us living here!
- I'm still not having cravings for junk food/sugar/etc. In the past, I would CRAVE specific foods - like bean burritos, mac and cheese, pizza, etc. and right now, I just don't have that. I love the Whole30 for that result alone. I've felt imprisoned by my food thoughts for a long time, so to feel some relief from it is just amazing!
- I'm feeling "tighter" especially in my belly area. My pooch is slowly going away (thanks, Crossfit!).
- My energy is starting to pick back up after a few days of tiredness. My sleep is starting to get better, as well.
- I'm still eating the same amount of food as I was before the Whole30 - I don't feel deprived but I also don't feel like I'm "overdoing it" because I'm hungry all the time (the past few days have been a bit different though....see below).
- For the past 2-3 days, I've had some weird stomach cramps that come and go. It feels like hunger pangs except theres no way I'm hungry because I either just ate or mentally just don't want to eat.
- I've been leaning on compliant condiments (hot sauce and paleo mayo) a lot to add more flavor to my food. I think I need cut back a bit and embrace the natural taste of food/add more spices.
- I have to watch my servings of potatoes and nut butters. These are things I really love and will have a tendency to load up on if I don't watch it. I've done a really good job of watching portion control so far but just need to keep it in the back of my mind as the new wears off this challenge.
- I hoping my belly pangs start to subside and I get the famous burst of energy soon. I'm still anxiously awaiting all the wonderful results people talk about!
- Just keep doing what I'm doing. I feel happy with things so far!
- Try a few more recipes or maybe take Whole30 out to dinner to a real restaurant - Valentine's Day is Saturday! It would be nice to have someone else prepare a dry grilled steak and veggies :) hint hint, Nicholas.
- Get my training runs in - I've been having trouble with my back (going to the doc tomorrow!). I'll update tomorrow about Crossfit and running :)
Any Whole30ers have these weird belly pangs? Any remedies for upset stomachs?